Translate

Wednesday 12 September 2012

Uluhlu lweendwendwe endizinqwenelayo (My Guest wish lists).



Dear Tata uBantu Biko
I have been watching a lot of television, perused a lot of magazines and heard a lot of people naming people whom they would like to have dinner with, the answer to me seemed to have always been the same 'I would love to have Mandela as my guest'. There is nothing wrong with that I mean uTat'omkhulu uRholihlahla is an exceptional man. The question is always a standalone with no follow up question, I would love them to ask 'why do you want him over dinner and what would be the subject over the dinner table'?
Needless to say they never ask, but usually impulsively say 'Oh yeah! Wow! He is such a great man'! I sit there with utter dissatisfaction, I would like to hear why they want this guest over or do they know this guest? It would be hypocritical for me to say so yet I want you to be my guest. Let me afford you the chance to know why such a wish is transpired, when I first read a passage of your book I Write What I Like my childhood frustration subsided. 
This passage spoke how the black culture is not lost, but resided in every generation and all the claims that may create confusion of our existence can be answered or simply ignored. 'We the generation of expression, with t-shirts which might say thank I am a blackman'. Those were the words that stuck with me and will continue to do so as long as I live. I mean I use to write, draw and paint on my clothes messages that might incite dialogue I did not get any conversation instead I got banter 'awutshayi? Insangu iyaphambanisa kanene', 'Iwoh awuboniswa'. 
I was filled with frustration because it seemed like I did not fit in, I was always dissatisfied, in fact made to feel that way since I thought differently or asked a lot of questions that mostly were true, but ignored not to meddle with the erroneous happiness. 
But; my God, when I read your whole book I felt at ease and as I hovered over those black figures I found someone who thought like me, but could express these thoughts with so much precision. Your words were constant part of my conversation. Suddenly there was nothing wrong for thinking differently, the frustration I had for my educated people subsided soon as I found out that we all feel the dissatisfaction with the world, but others chose to keep their concerns internally.
Now I ask myself, what if you were quite. Would we be able to hear and more especially feel inspired, hopeful, human, thankful for being black and rejuvenated? I know I cannot answer that, but the known fact is you spoke and those who had ears listened. 
It has been 18 years in ‘our democracy  and in your own words you said "In time, we shall be in a position to bestow on South Africa the greatest  possible gift---a more human face."; when is time or has it passed or have we done so?
If you are able to come over for dinner how about we tackle these questions light-heartedly of cause?
Faithfully Yours NgangolwandlekaZamkhaya

 

No comments:

Post a Comment